OK, so @ that I was meant to post some fangirlish tidbits about the Jaime/Jo interview since I can’t give you guys the audio. I pretty much published everything they said, interview-wise, but here are some things for your fangirl hearts: reminded me
1) I was actually going to interview them separately, but we had a couple of scheduling conflicts and they both ended up being available near the same time. I asked the (super awersome) Syfy publicist if I should call them together or separately and he was like, “Oh, do it together. They have so much fun together.”
2) I actually got Jo on the line first and she was answering a question for me when Jaime clicked in. They were like, “Ahhhh!” “Ahhhh!” “Ahhhh!” for five are six minutes, just chatting and catching up and making plans and then Jo was like, “Oh, er, Heather’s here. Hey, Heather.”
3) I really didn’t have to ask many questions at all. Usually these phoners are about 15 minutes long and you can fit five, maybe six questions into that time, but Jaime and Jo were just so excited to be talking about the show, about their relationship on the show, and about female empowerment and nerd culture and lesbian fans that I hardly had to talk at all. In fact, most of the talking I did was when I had to interrupt them because we were running out of time.
4) The thing that impressed me most in the whole interview was how deeply Jaime understood H.G. I mean, she had put more thought into her backstory and motivations and longings and desires than even fandom, and that’s saying something. And while I think all actors have an affinity for the characters they play, Jaime just seemed truly smitten with H.G.
5) If I hadn’t cut them off, I think they would have talked for another hour. (But I didn’t want to get in trouble with Syfy!)
6) All actors have a very complicated relationship with celebrity and with fandoms, but both Jo and Jaime seemed to feel honored by the attention and the responsibility of portraying queer women on TV. There was nothing begrudging in their tone or words about fans, only true gratitude and affection. (I think that probably has a lot to do with the caliber of fans in the Bering/Wells fandom, to tell you the truth.)
Anyway, that’s all I can think of to say. Thank you guys for continuing to let me be an ambassador to lesbian fandom. :)
When/where is your interview with Jaime and JoJo (as Eddie refers to her on Twitter) posted? Where??? When??? I'm so excited to see it!! Thank you!
Hi! I’m working on transcribing it right now. Hopefully, it’ll be up on AfterEllen later this afternoon. I’ll tweet out a link. Also, a lot of people have been asking for the audio, but I’m not allowed to release that. So after the interview is up, I’ll do a little post here on Tumblr with some fun/sweet details about interview audio that are more fangirl and less professional. :)